Thursday, July 4, 2013

Some days



Having 2 kids isn't as terrifying as I had feared it would be. In fact, some days I got it all together. I get my work done early in the day, we go for an outing, everyone naps, dinner is ready when Kyle gets home and the house isn't too messy.  And if I'm REALLY good, I even put on makeup. !

And then there are days like today. Days that begin with a Diet Coke (or 2) and quickly deteriorate to hell when the Terrible Twos suddenly manifests itself in the form of a screaming, thrashing toddler who is practically foaming at the mouth.  In the middle of Target.

I'm not exaggerating. It. Was. Bad. 

I tried stern discipline. I tried begging. I tried bribery. I tried creative distraction. And then I tried opening a pouch of baby food and shoving it in her mouth. Bingo! I bought myself 3 more minutes of frantic shopping and a $1.28 package of Banana Mango. Ok I bought 10 and she downed 2 before I made it through the check out.  

I thought things would get better after nap time but that dream quickly went to crap. The highlight of the day might have been when Avery smashed a toy in my head, causing cranial lumpage and a 4 hour headache. 

Enter Diet Coke #3. 

By the time Kyle got home I was in tears, Avery was in solitary confinement, and Kellen was still wailing from his latest sister-induced injury.   

I know as a parent I'm not supposed to have favorites, but if I DID it ain't gonna be the one throwing blocks and food in my face and coloring on the furniture. At least not on a day like today. 

Here's to tomorrow!


2 comments:

Crystal said...

Yay for the good days! And ((big hugs)) to you on the hard days! I hope that Kellen is an easy baby for you. The hardest year of my life so far has been the year that Brielle (my very hard toddler) was 2.5-3.5 years old and Aislynn (my very hard baby) was 0-12 months old. I totally sympathize with you. And I love you!!! Thanks for the post... I miss them! :)

Amy Owen said...

Oh my gosh Kourtney! I laughed so hard reading this. You're such a talented writer!